Do you like TIRAMISU? Try to make Tiramisu Swiss roll at home – with coffee and mascarpone cream. This original tiramisu coffee roulade recipe from Chef Black Pepper will appeal to all lovers of Italian cuisine.
TIRAMISU SWISS ROLL RECIPE
Ingredients (servings 8-10)
For the roulade:
- 4 Eggs
- 100 g Sugar, plus 20 g for decoration
- 2 tbsp. Hot water
- 70 g Plain flour
- 1/2 pack Vanilla sugar
For the cream:
- 150 ml Coffee
- 130 g Unsalted butter
- 130 g Cream cheese
- 110 g Sugar
- 1/2 pack Vanilla sugar
1. Making the swiss roll
- Take 4 eggs, separate whites and yolks.
- Beat the egg whites until dense foam with 1/8 tsp of salt. Put in the fridge for 10 min.
- Mix the egg yolks with 1/2 pack vanilla sugar and 100 g of sugar until thick and creamy. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add 2 tbsp. of hot water, dribbling it down the sides of the bowl. Mix well.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, and then sift again 1/3 of flour into the egg yolk, add 1/3 of egg whites. Fold to combine. Repeat the last action for 2 times.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a baking sheet (35×30 cm) with butter, sprinkle with 2 tbsp of flour. Pour the dough on a baking sheet, smoothen with a spatula, and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Sift sugar evenly over the surface of the cake and cover with a clean towel. Place a wire rack on top, then flip the cake over, so that the wire rack is now underneath the towel and cake. Lift off the tray and lightly dust the top of the cake with the remaining sugar.
- Roll up warm roll with a towel. Let rest 10 minutes. Then unfold it and leave to cool to room temperature.
2. Making the cream and assembling the cake
- Cut the butter into cubes. Take 4 egg yolks, add 1/2 pack vanilla sugar, add 110 g of sugar, stir well. Add the butter to the yolks, stir continuously. Add the cheese cream. Mix well, cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- When ready to assemble, soak the sponge roll with cold coffee. Use a small spatula to spread the cream evenly over the surface of the cake. Leave a border of about 2cm without any cream. Then roll the cake up as you did before, this time without the towel inside. Using a long spatula or fish slice, transfer the cake to a long platter.
- Wrap the cake roll in towel and put in the freezer for 1 hour. Transfer to the refrigerator; let it soak for 3-4 hours. Cut the edges with a very sharp knife before serving.