Italian stuffed rice balls recipe. Arancini are fried stuffed rice balls, which are coated with breadcrumbs and filled with ham and mozzarella. How to make Italian arancini at home – follow original Italian recipe from Black Pepper Chef.
Ingredients (for 12 arancini)
- 500 g Rice
- 1 bag of Saffron
- 30 g Butter
- 50 g Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 120 g diced mozzarella
- 80 g Diced Ham
- 200 g Flour
- 300 g Ground Bread crumbs
- Oil for Frying
1. Cooking rice for the rice balls
- Cook rice for 15 minutes in 1,2 l of salted water. At the end of cooking rice should soak up all the water.
- Stir the saffron in 50 ml of warm water, pour it into prepared rice. Add butter and grated Parmesan cheese. Stir, leave to cool.
2. Making the batter
- Mix 200 g of flour with 300 ml of water until homogeneous consistency.
3. Making arancini
- Moisten hands with water, take a handful of and knead on the palm. Put mozzarella and ham in the middle and form a ball.
- Make 10-12 arancini. Dip them in batter and roll in breadcrumbs. Repeat the breading.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Dip 2-3 arancini in oil and fry until golden brown (about 7 minutes). The oil should cover the balls on all sides.
- Put the finished arancini on a paper towel.
- Dishes fried in butter do not have to be fatty. The secret is in the correct breading and high frying temperature.
- Use only rice for risotto: Arborio, Carnaroli or Vialone nano.
- We do not recommend to use egg or egg yolk for breading: the egg will burn, and the finished arancini will have an ugly color.
- Arancini can be cooked with a variety of fillings, but mozzarella with ham or meat stew remain classics.
- We used mayonnaise, blanched sprigs of broccoli and green peas to decorate the plate.