Sponge strawberry Swiss roll cake with poppy seed and champagne cream – excellent strawberry roulade recipe. Delicious Sponge Cake recipe with strawberry champagne cream will be your favorite cake recipe. This poppy seed strawberry champagne roulade is perfect for dinner for two, st. Valentine Day, or party menu.
SPONGE STRAWBERRY SWISS ROLL RECIPE
Ingredients (servings 6-8)
- 4 Large Eggs
- 130 g Sugar
- 80 g Flour
- 1 bag of Baking Powder* (see the notes below)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 bag of Vanilla Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Poppy (25 g)
- 300 g Strawberries
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 200 g Strawberries
- 1 Lemon
- 9 g Gelatin (5 sheets)
- 200 ml Whipping Cream
- 100 ml Dry White Champagne
- 125 g Icing Sugar
1. Make sponge swiss roll
- Separate whites and yolks. Beat the egg whites until dense foam. Put in the fridge.
- Mix the egg yolks, vanilla sugar and sugar until thick and creamy. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add 2 tbsps of hot water, dribbling it down the sides of the bowl. Add poppy and gently mix to combine.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, and then sift again into the egg yolk and poppy mixture. Mix well.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add baking powder according to the instructions on the package for 80 g of flour.
- Fold egg whites into the dough mix, a third at a time.
- Preheat oven to 180°C . Grease a baking sheet (35×30 cm) sprinkle with 2 tbsps. of flour.
- Pour the dough on a baking sheet, smoothen with a spatula, and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Sift sugar evenly over the surface of the cake and cover with a clean towel. Place a wire rack on top, then flip the cake over, so that the wire rack is now underneath the towel and cake. Lift the tray, lightly dust the top of the cake with sugar.
- Roll up warm roll with a towel. Let rest 10 minutes. Then unfold it and leave to cool to room temperature.
2. Making the cream with champagne
- Squeeze lemon juice. Put 200 g of strawberries in the blender, add half lemon juice. Finely chop the strawberries in the blender.
- Pour into a small saucepan, heat over medium heat, add 100 ml of champagne. Cook for 1-2 minutes on low heat. Turn off the heat, leave to cool.
3. Cooking gelatin
- Pour some cold water in a bowl. Dip the gelatin leaves into the water one by one, leave to swell for 10 minutes. (Alternatively, if using powder gelatin just follow the instructions on the package to make it.).
- Squeeze out the swollen gelatin, put into warm champagne cream with strawberries, mix well until completely dissolved. Leave to cool.
4. Making the cream
- Cool 200 ml of whipping cream, pour it into a cold bowl. Add 125 g of icing sugar, whip cream until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the strawberry gelatin, stir until smooth. Put in the fridge for 1.5 – 2 hours.
5. Cooking strawberries
- Slice the strawberries.
- Preheat pan without oil on high heat, add the strawberries. Add sugar and half lemon juice; cook 2-3 minutes, until the sugar is melted.
- Cool the strawberries, decant.
6. Assembling the Swiss roll
- Soak the sponge roll with cold strawberry syrup.
- Use a small spatula to spread the cream evenly over the surface of the cake. Leave a border of about 2cm without any cream leaving 2 cm in the opposite longitudinal direction.
- Place all strawberries evenly on top of the cream, then roll the cake up as you did before, this time without the towel inside.
- Wrap in a film or towel, put in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Transfer to the refrigerator, let it soak for 7-8 hours.
- Before serving, cut the edges with a very sharp knife.
* A bag of baking powder means that you must see the instruction on the pack. In my country we have 2 types of baking powder: 1 bag for 500 g of flour (11g of powder in the bag), and 1 bag for 200 g of flour (11 g of powder in the bag), In this recipe we use 80 g of flour, so we need about 1/6 of the bag of first type (500/6 =83 g of flour) ~ 3 g of baking powder. And we need about 1/2 for the second type of baking powder (200/2=100 g of flour) in will be about ~5 g of baking powder.