Delicious sponge cake with grapefruit mousse and whipped cream. Flavoured Earl Gray, soft cream cheese and fresh grapefruit with whipped cream – this simple sponge grapefruit cake recipe will be your favourite.
GRAPEFRUIT CAKE RECIPE
Ingredients (for ~1,5 kg)
- 3 Grapefruits (~ 400 g each)
- 105 g of Flour (~ 3/4 cup)
- 4 Eggs
- 270 g of Sugar
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tea-bag of Earl Gray tea
- 4 tbsp of Poppy
- 1 bag of Gelatin (6 g)
- a pinch of Salt
- 300 ml Whipping Cream
- 100 g Cream Cheese like Philadelphia
1. Cooking sponge cake
- Put eggs into a large bowl, add 60 g of sugar (3 tbsp), beat for 6-7 minutes. Add another 60 g of sugar, continue to beat for another 6-7 minutes. Add the zest of the half of lemon.
- Sift the flour 2 times, add 3 tbsp of poppy seeds and a pinch of salt, stir.
- Add flour mixture in beaten eggs in three portions, gently stirring until smooth.
- Grease a detachable form with a diameter of 20 cm with butter, sprinkle with flour. Pour the dough into the form. Bake for 25 minutes at 170°C. Turn off, leave for 10 minutes in the oven with the open door. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into 3 levels.
2. Cooking grapefruits
- Peel the grapefruits with a knife, carefully cut the slices, using membranes as guides. Set aside some slices for the decoration.
- Squeeze some juice from the grapefruit core.
- Pour into the bowl 3-4 tbsp of grapefruit juice, and dissolve the gelatin in it.
- Put the grapefruit slices into a blender, finely chop. Pour into a small saucepan, add 100 g of sugar and the remaining juice, boil over low heat for 2-3 minutes, remove from heat. Add gelatin to warm mousse. Stir well and allow to cool.
- Beat the cold whipping cream into a dense foam. Add 2/3 of cream in grapefruit mousse (leave 1/3 for decoration), stir.
4. Assembling the cake
- Brew the tea in a glass of boiling water, add 2 tbsp of sugar.
- Put a detachable form without a bottom on a serving plate. Put the first cake level, lightly soak it with tea. Pour half of a grapefruit mousse. Put the second cake level, soak it with tea. Pour the last half of the mousse. Put the third cake level, soak it with tea.
- Put the cake in the fridge for 6 hours.
5. Making the decoration
- Mix the remaining cream with 100 g of cream cheese, add 1 tbsp. of poppy seeds, stir.
- Remove the form, cover with poppy cream on the top and sides. Decorate with grapefruit slices.