Chocolate cake with cherries or sour cherries and whipping cream - Black Forest. Surprisingly soft cherry cake with dark chocolate, juicy cherries and a lush cream for all chocolate lovers. A real chocolate sponge cake (no cocoa powder) is very easy to prepare - follow the little secrets of our recipe and you will succeed! The classic Black Forest cake (Schwarzwalder) is made with sweet cherries, but we strongly recommend using sour cherries - the taste of the cake will be much richer. Do not use chocolate for sprinkling the sides - firstly, the cake will look shapeless, and secondly, extra chocolate will make the cake sugary. A fashionable trend is the style of Naked Cake - it means a pure cake without the ganache. This way of decorating cakes allows you to emphasize the texture of the cake and is very suitable for cakes with a contrasting filling and cream.
Black Forest Cherry Cake
Category: Cakes & Desserts
Servings: 8Prep Time: Cook Time:
FOR CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE
- 4 Eggs
- 70 g of Flour
- 95 g of Dark Chocolate
- 50 g of Butter
- 120 g of Sugar
- 35 g of Starch
- 1 bag of Baking Powder *(se notes below)FOR FILLING AND DECORATION
- ~ 500 g of Cherries / Sour Cherries (fresh or canned)
- 3-4 tbsp of Sugar
- 3 tbsp of Brandy/Wisky
- Black ChocolateFOR THE CREAM
- 500 ml of Whipping Cream
- 30 g of Sugar
COOKING CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE
- Melt chocolate in a microwave (500 W for 1-1.5 minutes) or on a water bath. Add very warm butter, stir.
- Separate the yolks from the whites. Add half of the sugar to the yolks, beat until the mixture turns white and increases in volume. Add melted chocolate with butter, stir.
- Sift the flour twice, add starch and baking powder according to the instructions on the package. Gradually add flour to the chocolate mass, mix well.
- Begin to beat the whites with a pinch of salt, gradually add the second half of the sugar. Beat until thick foam. Add whipped whites to the chocolate mass, mix well (chocolate dough can become very dense - this is normal. Add 1-2 tbsp of whipped whites and stir with a spatula. If you cannot mix it, beat with the mixer for 5-6 seconds to soften the dough, and then add other whites, stirring with a spatula from the bottom up to keep the volume of the whites).
- Take a ring form with a diameter of 18 cm (h=5 cm or more), make the bottom with the foil. Put the ring on the baking sheet. Pour the dough into the mould, smoothen with a spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes at 160C. Leave for 5 minutes in the oven with the door ajar, then place on a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Will be better to leave the cake to rest for 6-8 hours under a napkin, then it crumbles less.
- Cut the cake into 3 layers: make an incision at the desired height along the entire circumference of the cake. Insert the sewing thread into the cut, cross the ends of the thread and pull it off. Cut the second cake layer in the same way.COOKING THE CHERRIES AND CREAM
- Keep apart 10-12 cherries for decoration. Cut the remaining cherries in half, remove the pit. Put the cherries in a frying pan without oil, add sugar, fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes. Pour the brandy and set on. Gently shake the pan so that the cherries will roll over. Cook until the flame goes out. Leave to cool, drain the cherries, keep the syrup. [BE CAREFUL WITH OPEN FIRE! DO NOT LIGHT UNDER RANGE HOOD OR OTHER APPLIANCES FOR RISK OF FIRE; MAKE SURE THE AREA OVER THE PAN IS CLEAR. KEEP A LID CLOSE BY TO COVER THE PAN AND CHOKE THE FLAME IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG. DO NOT DO WHEN SMALL CHILDREN ARE AROUND, IT MIGHT BE DANGEROUS]. If you are not sure, pour brandy on the cherries and just let it evaporate for 1-2 minutes.
- Beat the whipping cream with sugar until fluffy. (Make the cream just before assembling the cake).
- Put the first layer of cake on a plate. Soak with syrup, put some cream. Put the cherries cut side down onto the cream close to the edge of the cake and cover the entire surface of the cake. Cover with a layer of cream.
- Put the second layer of cake on the cream, continue according to the scheme.
- Cover the cake with a third layer of cake, soak with syrup. Cover with a layer of the cream on top. Cover the sides of the cake with cream.
- Leave to soak in the refrigerator for 5-6 hours.MAKING THE DECORATION
- Make some sugar syrup with sugar and water in a 2: 1 ratio, leave to cool. Dip the cherry to half in the syrup and immediately put in sugar. Leave on sugar for a few minutes, then put on a paper towel and leave to dry for 30 minutes.
- Heat a piece of dark chocolate in a microwave for 10-15 seconds. Make some large chocolate chips with a peeler.
- Move the spatula along the side of the cake and remove the excess of the cream. Sprinkle the top of the cake with chocolate chips, decorate with sugar cherries.Author:
Black Pepper Chef
* A bag of baking powder means that you must see the instruction on the pack. In my country we have 2 types of baking powder: 1 bag for 500 g of flour (11g of powder in the bag), and 1 bag for 200 g of flour (11 g of powder in the bag), In this recipe we use 70 g of flour, so we need about 1/7 of the bag of first type (500/7=70g of flour) ~ 2 g of baking powder. And we need about 1/2 for the second type of baking powder (200/2=100 g of flour) in will be about ~5 g of baking powder.