Nicoise salad was originally made with anchovies and tomatoes with olive oil. Over time, other ingredients were added to the traditional salad Nicoise recipe like cucumbers, lettuce, tuna, olives, sweet peppers, quail eggs, and basil. Famous chef Gordon Ramsay said, that “it must be the best summer salad of all.”
The traditional recipe does not contain boiled vegetables – and most chefs agree to this variant of Nicoise salad. The main theme of the salad is summer and the sea, and the ingredients are chosen according to this principle – fish, preferably salty, like anchovies, juicy tomatoes, crisp lettuce and sweet peppers.
You can make a very beautiful salad if, instead of anchovies and tuna, you will add finely chopped salted salmon Gravlax – it has an amazing colour and delicate taste.
Tuna Salad Nicoise
- 1 Cucumber (~ 200 g)
- 3 Pods of Fresh Fava Beans (or a handful of thawed)
- 4 Tomatoes (~ 400 g)
- 1/2 Red Sweet Pepper (~ 200 g)
- 1/2 Yellow Sweet Pepper (~ 200 g)
- 7-8 Anchovy Fillets
- 2 Small Stalks of Green Onion
- 120 g Tuna in Oil
- 5-6 Leaves of Salad (~ 60 g)
- 1 Celery Stalk (~ 100 g)
- 6-8 Radishes
- 4 Quail Eggs
- 6-8 Pitted Olives
- 1 small Bunch of Basil
- Olive oil
- Remove tuna from oil, leave to drain. Peel the fava beans Cut the tomatoes into small slices. Peel the cucumber, cut it in half, remove seeds with a spoon. Cut the pulp into small slices. Cut half of the yellow and red pepper into sticks. Slice the radish. Cut celery stalk into slices Boil quail eggs for 5 minutes. Clean the eggs, cut in half. Finely chop the green onions.
- Mix all chopped ingredients. Add olives, tuna and anchovy fillets. Salt, add olive oil. Decorate with basil.Author: